Weymouth Township located in the southwest section of Atlantic County in the New Jersey Pinelands or Pine Barrens and contains the towns of Belcoville and Dorothy. It covers an area of 12.12 square miles, is bordered by the Great Egg Harbor River, South River, and Tuckahoe River, and is largely rural. The area was settled in the late 1600's when Weymouth Township once comprised the area of what is now Atlantic County.
Our name origin is Weymouth, England - An ancient seaport and modern terminal for ferries from the Channel Islands of Guernsey and Jersey. It is located at the mouth of the Wey River on Weymouth Bay. Weymouth is a popular beach resort of Georgian and Victorian houses. In olden days it was a naval port and the site of an important castle. King George III had a summer house there. In 1694 the Quaker fathers in Gloucester County named our township Weymouth because it was their township on the sea. They had no idea just how big a township they had created. Some of the Quakers may have left England from the port of Weymouth making it their last glimpse of the motherland.